Proactively Advocating for Competitive Energy Policies
Managing the cost and availability of energy is a crucial component of success for many businesses. Ohio Energy Leadership Council advocates for competitive, reasonable, and transparent laws, policies, and utility rates through effective lobbying and legal advocacy.
OELC has helped its members achieve substantial savings on electric and natural gas supply costs for more than 30 years. Significant initiatives and successes include:
- Energy Legislation: Helping shape Ohio legislation addressing renewable energy, energy efficiency, and peak demand reduction requirements, as well as legislation ensuring that the cost burdens of utility initiatives do not unreasonably fall on large energy consumers;
- Utility Programs: Advocating for utility tariff mechanisms that provide value for customers able to manage their peak power consumption or able to curtail their electricity demand, which also provides system-wide benefits to the electricity grid;
- kWh Tax Savings: Establishing an OELC-promoted option for large energy users to self-assess the collection of electricity consumption taxes (kWh taxes), which minimizes tax penalties for large consumers and maintains tax revenue dollars;
- Flexibility for Energy Efficiency Projects: Lobbying for legislative changes that restore businesses’ ability to choose when and how much to dedicate toward energy efficiency initiatives;
- Savings on Utility Riders: Supporting rate mechanisms for the Universal Service Fund (USF) to address the risk of escalating charges for large energy users.
Among other efforts, our dedicated lobbying and regulatory legal team at BakerHostetler:
- Actively lobbies on legislative matters affecting energy and utility issues in Ohio;
- Advises members on policy and legal issues impacting energy consumption and utility expenses;
- Represents members before their utilities to address questions and disputes; and
- Participates in matters before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio impacting utility rates and tariffs, including electric security plan (ESP) and distribution rate proceedings for Ohio’s electric utilities, natural gas ratemaking and tariffs for Ohio’s natural gas utilities, and other PUCO proceedings affecting members’ utility issues and rates.
Learn more about OELC’s dedicated lobbying and regulatory legal team from BakerHostetler here.